Using biometric identification is a great solution if you are 18 years old or older, have had a Smart-ID account before (and still have access to the phone number or e-mail you used for your previous account), have an electronically chipped Estonian, Latvian or Lithuanian identification document, can’t use your ID-card or Mobile-ID for electronic authentication, you do not want to use the Smart-ID Basic account with limited access (available in Latvia and Lithuania) and you do not want to go to your local bank office every time you change your device or want to renew your account.
Biometric identification allows you to scan your documents yourself – in the comfort of your own home!
What you need for biometric identification:
- Identification document with an electronic chip
You can use ID-card, passport or residence permit in Latvia or Lithuania; a passport if you are Estonian.
- NFC compatible phone
The Smart-ID app will automatically check your phone and if you do not have NFC support, you will not be offered biometric identification as a possible registration method. NB! Make sure to close all other apps that may have access to NFC scanning before you start biometric identification!
- Ability to use your smart phone’s camera.
You don’t need to be a professional photographer, you just need to know how to take pictures or a video with your phone.
- About 10 minutes of uninterrupted time.
How long the process will actually take depends on your skills, cooperation of your device and general internet speed. You need to be able to have at least 10 minutes of uninterrupted time!
- NB! Only existing or previous Smart-ID users can use biometric identification. You do NOT need an active account that you have access to as long as…
- your name and social security number are already in our database,
- you still have access to the contact information (mobile number/e-mail) used for your previous account
- and you are an adult (18+)!
- The account activation code (OTP) will be sent to the e-mail or mobile number you used with your last active Smart-ID account: you need to be able to access it to activate your new account.
Read more about using OTP codes while travelling abroad!
We’ve done our best to keep the biometric identification process as simple as possible: just follow the instructions, read through all the information on your screen and take your time.
We’ve also got a demo video for you:
Should you have difficulties or need a bit of personal one-on-one help, do not hesitate to contact our customer service. If it helps, our support team can be with every step of the way.
Instructions for biometric identification have been divided into stages to make it easier for you to follow.