Yes, you can use a Lithuanian ID-card to register your Smart-ID account. If your ID-card works with other e-services such as accessing and using your online bank account then you should find it will work with Smart-ID.
If you have trouble using your ID-card for e-services, here are a few things you should check:
- ID-card: when was your ID-card issued?
You can only use ID-cards that were issued after 4th of July 2012 for Smart-ID registration.
If your ID card was issued before July 4th 2012, it only supports the SHA-1 signature, a standard which is no longer considered secure and therefore can NOT be used for identification.
- Operating system: does it have the necessary drivers?
- If you are using Windows, make sure you’ve got all necessary drivers from http://www.nsc.vrm.lt/downloads.htm
- If you are using MAC OS X, then you can get your required middleware from http://www.cryptotech.com.pl/Produkty/CryptoCard_Suite_Pobieranie,content.html;
- Browser: does it have the right plugins?
To complete the registration, a browser-based signing plugin package must be installed. We recommend using plugins that can be downloaded from here.